Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Overshadowed by Igor

(Picture credit: Wisconsin State Journal)


Last night, the Mayor Kurt Sonnentag read a proclamation in my honor at the beginning of the Middleton City Council meeting. The council chamber was filled to capacity and a news team from one of the Madison TV stations had even shown up. But as I well knew beforehand, this standing-room-only turnout and media attention wasn’t on my behalf as retiring Library Director. There was one agenda item in particular that sparked an intense interest in last night’s meeting.

Appeal the Decision of Chief Keil to Euthanize Canine (Gary Lohrke)

Believe it or not, I actually had a series of encounters with Igor myself, though never face-to-face, thank God.

More than once while walking to and from the library this summer, I heard a dog bark so loudly it sounded as though it was broadcast through Jumbotron speakers.

That must be one huge dog, I figured. I hope he doesn’t decide to take after me.

Nervously, I noticed that the screen door of the old house where this roaring took place probably wouldn't have held back a Chihuahua. Turns out this is where Igor lived. Fortunately, there was never any crashing through doors or windows.

But back to yesterday evening’s ceremony.

Once the Mayor finished reading the proclamation, there was a hearty round of applause. I made a few brief remarks, being sure to thank the council members – current and past – for their support throughout my Middleton career. Then, with tongue in cheek, I thanked everyone in the audience for attending, quickly acknowledging that I realized that they weren’t here on my account, a remark met with a burst of appreciative laughter.

JoAnna and I decided not to stay for the rest of the meeting. As it turned out, the Council heard more than one hour of public testimony on Igor. (Speakers are limited to 3 minutes apiece, and I know from experience that most speakers say what’s on their mind in less than a minute.) I had figured the majority sentiment would be to plead for the dog’s life – if not to have it returned to its owner. Not so, JoAnna informed me as we walked to the car. Before the meeting had been called to order, she talked with the owner of the dog who was attacked by Igor last year. Many audience members sported buttons with a picture of Lily, the 13-pound dog mauled by Igor, and supported the euthanization proposal, though some suggested that an effort to find another owner should first be taken.

No comments:

Labels