Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekend Cuisine

JoAnna’s 10 o’clock Saturday morning hair appointment was inadvertently dropped from the schedule due to her hairdresser’s change of location. I went along with her, figuring I’d do some research at the Madison Public Library. In order to proceed with an idea for a blog post that I’ve developed (pictures already taken), I need to check the Madison city directories from the late 1940s and early 1950s to verify the time frame when houses in three west-side neighborhoods were constructed.

As soon as I retrieved a volume from the shelves, my cell phone rang.

Having accustomed myself to Middleton’s “no cell phone” rule, I immediately made a beeline for the exit. I even disconnected the call so I wouldn’t make any noise on my way out. (How weird is that? some would ask.) I figured it was Andy wondering where we were, and I’d call him back as soon as I was outside.


My phone rang again as soon as I stepped into the vestibule. I was surprised to see JoAnna’s name on the digital display. She explained the mix-up.

“Do you want to go to Farmer’s Market?” she then asked.

“Might as well since we’re here,” I replied.

We made a leisurely circuit around the Capitol Square, selecting items for two salads that JoAnna planned to make for us later on. The first one (pictures 1 and 2) includes beets, three varieties, and feta cheese (and walnuts and a cut-up orange we already had at home.) The orange, of course, takes this salad out of the “locavore” category.

We also bought tomatoes for a gazpacho-like salad (lower center of pictures 1 and 2), to go with the cucumber, green pepper, and oil and vinegar we had on hand. Along with the Spicy Cheese and Herb Bread from New Glarus’s Sweet Street Bakery, these two salads made a perfect mid-afternoon lunch after a 90-minute bike ride.

As soon as we drove home from our Farmer’s Market visit, we headed back toward the Capitol Square on our bikes, stopping for a brief layover at the Memorial Union Terrace. Conditions were perfect for enjoying the view of Lake Mendota while drinking a few beers, but our afternoon was more fitness-oriented. We quenched our thirsts with lemonade.

And on Sunday morning, Retiring Guy returned the favor with the following menu:

Skillet scramble: eggs, pepper jack cheese, ham, green pepper
The cheese and herb bread toasted
Fruit salad, Cranberry & orange juice

No comments:

Labels