Thursday, October 9, 2008

Guilty Pleasure of the Day

Every once in awhile, I'll tune in WTUX (1550 on the AM dial), "The Music of Your Life", while working in the kitchen. The station provides an instructive overview of popular (read: easy listening) music over the past 70 years or so. Today I heard this song (click on the embedded YouTube video) for the first time since I was in high school. It's held up very well through the years.




Here are the top 20 songs on Billboard Hot 100 during the week when this song peaked. (For the week of August 20, 1966)

1. Summer in the City (Lovin' Spoonful)
2. Sunny (Bobby Hebb)
3. Lil' Red Riding Hood (Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs)
4. Wild Thing (Troggs)
5. They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha (Napoleon XIV)
6. See You in September (Happenings)
7. The Pied Piper (Crispian St. Peters)
8. Mother's Little Helper (Rolling Stones)
9. I Couldn't Live Without Your Love (Petula Clark)
10. Sunshine Superman (Donovan)
11. Blowin' in the Wind (Stevie Wonder)
12. Sweet Pea (Tommy Roe)
13. Over Under Sideways Down (Yardbirds)
14. My Heart's Symphony (Gary Lewis & the Playboys)
15. Sweet Dreams (Tommy McCain)
16. Summertime (Billy Stewart)
17. Working in a Coal Mine (Lee Dorsey)
18. This Door Swings Both Ways (Herman's Hermits)
19. Somewhere My Love (Ray Conniff & his Singers)
20. Land of 1,000 Dances (Wilson Pickett)

WTUX also includes "Sunny" and "Somewhere My Love" on its playlist. My favorite song on the Top 20 (#13) will never make the cut.<

No comments:

Labels