Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Road Trip!!

From Auburn, Washington, to Rockford, Illinois, in June 1951, when I was all of 20 months old. A distance of 2,000 miles. At the time, my dad served as pastor of Messiah Lutheran Church. (Front row, second from left in picture below.) Rockford, Illinois, is his hometown.

The trip was made at a time when the Interstate Highway System, the blue roads on the map below didn't exist. Its authorization was another five years away.

Dad, Mom (who didn't get her driver's license until 1959), and I traveled in a 1951 Chevrolet. (Picture it a forest green.)


Along the way, Mom purchased a few postcards on which she wrote brief descriptions of our trip. (Click below to enlarge.)

Guess I had quite the appetite!

Of course, I don't remember a thing from this trip, but I'm certainly having fun trying to picture it.

No comments:

Labels