Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hair Restoration

On a mid-December Friday afternoon, I spent some time addressing envelopes for Christmas cards. I sat on a stool at the kitchen counter so I could listen to SIRIUS radio’s “Underground Garage” channel. (I haven’t yet figured out how to broadcast the signal throughout the rest of the house.) After the deejay identified the artists and titles of the previous group of songs, I heard, most unexpectedly, the a cappella strains of the Cowsills.

She ask him why
why I'm a hairy guy

The Cowsills, a family musical group more bubblegum than rock’n’roll, seemed a very odd choice for a SIRIUS music channel that emphasizes the no-frills basics of rock music. At first, I considered changing channels, but, curiously, I sat still gave the song my full attention.

I'm hairy noon and nighty-night night
My hair is a fright
I'm hairy high and low
But don't ask me why
cuz he don't know

Hair”, of course, is the once infamous musical that premiered off-Broadway in late October 1967. The Cowsills’ version of the title song became a big hit during the summer of 1969, at a time when every other song on radio stations’ top 40 charts seemed to be a cover from “Hair” or Laura Nyro. Since had stopped listening to AM radio by the late 60s, I managed to avoid the Cowsills’ aural assault for the most part. The other day, though, I treated the song like a precious historical artifact. I have to admit being quite surprised to discover how listenable it has become – at least to me.

It's not for lack of bread
Like the Grateful Dead
Darling

This type of SURPRISE!! insertion into a playlist is another example of the indefatigable sense of rock and pop music history consistently demonstrated by the deejays on Little Steven’s Underground Garage. All hail!

Gimme a head with hair
Long, beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura Nyro has been my favorite since the 70s. It is too bad people don't know she is the writer of many songs other groups did. She deserves to be in the Rock Hall of Fame.

Sheila

Labels