Friday, July 4, 2008

Not Exactly the Ride I Had Planned

Before the Fall
(Looking west-southwest from a hilltop just south of Ashton)

It happened so fast I had no time to react.

While JoAnna followed her regular work schedule on Thursday, I stayed home and proceeded through the day at my own pace, Retiring Guy-style. After reading the papers, catching up on my Blogline accounts, and eating a quick breakfast, I hopped on my bike and headed north by northwest. After panting my way up the first of two moderately steep hills, I coasted down the other side and past the baseball diamond where Andy plays his home CYO games in Ashton.

From the same hilltop looking south.

I continued north for another miles and then turned east onto Riles Road, where, after pumping my way up the second moderate hill – a little less heavy breathing this time – I reached U.S. highway 12. I waited nearly a minute for the traffic to clear and then crossed the 4-lane, divided road to the access point to the bike path. I noticed a large patch of gravel and, slowing my approach, attempted to steer the bike away from the worst of it. As soon as the front tire left solid pavement, though, down I went on my right side. Hard. Faw down go boom!

I immediately felt pain in the area of my right elbow and knee – not to mention the embarrassment of being sprawled on the ground alongside a busy highway. I pushed myself up as quickly as I could manage and inspected the bike. (My pain wasn’t the main issue here.) The chain appeared to be hanging a little too loosely from its sprocket, but once I got going again, it tightened up. The handlebar, however, ended up a little bit off-kilter. In order to go in a straight line, I had to hold it as though I wanted to drift slightly to the right. (Memo to self: pack a small first aid kit and hex keys as a matter of course.)

Although my mood initially deflated, I continued my ride without having to make any special effort. It was only when I regained my rhythm that I checked the damage on the right side of my body. I now sported two crimson scrapes just below the elbow and two not-quite-matching ones on my knee. They no longer bother me, but a pain in the area of my groin has put a gimp in my walk.

From the intersection of Fisher & Pheasant Branch Roads

No comments:

Labels