Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cookie Dough'nt

I recently tried this recipe from our daily cookie calendar.

Perhaps the 3 sticks of butter was the first sign that this recipe was not for me.

And then there was the manual chopping of figs.

And mixing.

And more mixing.


The dough that didn't.

From the calendar picture, they look like slightly oversized pecan dainties (or Russian tea cakes, in Nelson family lingo), but in real life they ended up looking like little pancakes.
Still, my disappointment with the visual result was more than compensated for by the taste.

I’m beginning to think, though, that the people responsible for this cookie calendar didn’t bother to test any of the recipes. As soon as I felt the too-moist texture of the dough, I figured I wasn’t going to replicate the results as shown in the artfully taken photograph. As a result, I decided to refrigerate the dough for an hour, a step not specified in the recipe, before rolling it into little balls.

In addition, the 12-15 minute cooking time didn’t appear to be enough. The first batch came out looking underdone. Then it became a guessing game. Another minute? Another 2? And even after letting them cool on the pan, the cookies looked precariously crumbly. In fact, one fell off the spatula and immediately disintegrated when it hit the rack.

I think I’ll go back to Googling cookie recipes when I’m in to the mood to try something new.

1 comment:

Kathy Whitt said...

Try the sugar cookies on my blog, from December. They are great.
Kathy - kwhitt.blogspot.com

Labels