Saturday, October 24, 2009

Song of the Day: "Sloth" by Fairport Convention



UB freshman housemate Paul Rosen introduced me to Fairport Convention --via Full House -- in booth #3 of the music room in Norton Union in the fall of 1970, within days of the album's release, perhaps. I immediately went out and purchased my own copy, one of the few pieces of vinyl I haven't discarded. The liners notes alone make it worth keeping. (Think Firesign Theater.)

Some call Full House the pinnacle of the folk-rock movement. I agree. One reviewer described "Sloth" as "haunting, moody, dazzling". I would add "powerful", particularly the guitar/violin interplay -- twin solos -- of Richard Thompson and Dave Swarbrick. Trite to say, but it still sends shivers up and down my spine every time I listen to it.

An essential. No other way to state it.

No comments:

Labels