Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Luthgren Family, Springfield, Massachusetts (1910)


That's my Grandpa Luthgren at the right.
100 years ago!

Photo from Images of America: Springfield, Volume 1 by Ginger Cruickshank.

Adolph Luthgren is my maternal grandfather. He was 19 or 20 when this picture was taken.

His first wife, whom he married in 1912, died in childbirth in 1915. (When my Aunt Mildred, always known as "Millie" was born.) An older daughter, my Aunt Edna, was born in 1913.

My grandfather remarried and two more daughters were added to the family: Marion (that would be my mom -- in 1920) and Madeline Genevieve (1922), whom my siblings and I always referred to as Auntie Gen when we were growing up. She's the only "Auntie" we ever had. LIke Edna and Millie, my dad's 5 sisters were simply "Aunts" to us.

(Now I'm wondering if Edna is a middle name. Maybe her first name begins with "M". That's not what I recall from the 1920 and 1930 census records, though.)

Thanks to Kim Luthgren, grand-daughter of Oscar Luthgren and a second cousin I never knew I had until 2 weeks ago. She contacted me via Facebook and led me to this wonderful family photo which I'd never seen.

No comments:

Labels