Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Newburyport Turnpike, Newburyport, Massachusetts

The Newburyport Turnpike:  A historic road.  (Wicked Local Saugus, 9/14/2007)

Excerpt: The saga continues with the advent of automobiles in the early 1900’s and the rebirth of the turnpike. The road was widened and paved in 1922 and grass plots were used to separate the lanes of traffic on either side. The Newburyport Turnpike was designated as Route 1 in 1925. In the 1930’s construction began to replace the level road crossings with overpasses at Essex, Main, and Walnut Street. The M.D.C. extended its parkway program into Saugus with the creation of the Lynn Fells Parkway which connected the Turnpike with Melrose. The Frank Bennett Highway, or Route C-1, was built from Saugus to East Boston and dedicated in 1937. A rotary had to be constructed to accommodate the new roadway.

No comments: