Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Eddie's Vegetarian Diet, Day 1

Last week, Eddie, my younger son, designated Monday, June 16th as the day he starts his vegetarian diet.

"You think I'll be up to the challenge?" I asked.

At the time, I wasn't at all sure that I would be.

"You might end up eating a lot of salads," I added, "And tofu."

I didn't give this week's menu planning much thought until D-Day. (Or should that be V-Day.) Shortly after arriving at my office, I scribbled myself a note.

portabella mushrooms diced tomatoes crockpot

Just before walking home for lunch, I googled the above words and found the simplest recipe ever, courtesy of Heather’s Recipe Site. (No crockpot required.)

Portabella Mushroom Bake (or what will now be known in our house as Portabella Pizzaburgers)
4 portabella mushrooms (3-4 inches in diameter; stems removed)
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 cup grated cheese

Place mushrooms, gills up, in a glass baking dish.
Drain tomatoes. Add Italian seasoning and garlic powder to taste. Spoon evenly onto mushrooms.
Sprinkle grated cheese onto tomatoes. (I used a Kraft packaged blend of 5 Italian cheeses.)
Bake for 25 minutes.

On their own, portabella mushrooms are decidedly unappetizing to my eyes – looking about as tasty as tree bark. During the preparation of this recipe, I wasn’t sure if I’d end up eating one. I figured that Andy, my older son, definitely wouldn’t, so I grilled four small chicken breasts in a frying pan with a corrugated bottom and boiled some penne pasta. As a result, everyone was very pleased with the results. Eddie served himself everything but the chicken. Andy, as predicted, avoided the mushroom bake, although I think I might be able to convince him to try it the next time.

And what an inexpensive meal.

$3.49 mushrooms
$1.69 diced tomatoes
$1.50 cheese
$4.77 chicken
$1.00 pasta
$12.45 for the four of us.

Better yet, there was one portabella pizzaburger left over for Eddie’s lunch the following day.

No comments:

Labels