Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ever Have One of Those Days?


I need to be more disciplined when it comes to meetings and other outside-of-the-home responsibilities on my schedule.


Yesterday is an instructive case in point.


I worked on my course syllabus until nearly 10 a.m. Then I pushed myself away from the computer.


I’m not giving myself very much time to get ready, I thought.


Indeed! The meeting I was attending started at 11:00, and the seven people involved (representatives from the Wisconsin Library Association and Wisconsin Educational Media & Technology Association) were gathering in the Capitol rotunda at 10:45.


As soon as I reached the bathroom, I absently ran a hand across my face.


Shoot, I forgot to shave.


I usually take care of this morning ritual before JoAnna and Eddie leave the house.


I rushed through a shower and then grabbed a shirt and pair of pants from the closet – something to go with a blue blazer. With a temperature in the low 70s and the humidity in the same range, I decided to forego a tie.


The first two shirts I selected both had an embarrassing case of ring around the collar.


Am I losing it here? I wondered. (I’m the Laundry Guy at our house.)


I needed to factor in a 10-minute walk to the high-school parking lot as part of my preparations.


I should have given Eddie a ride to school this morning, I groused.


A block from the house, I realized I didn’t have my wallet. I jogged back, working up a little bit of a sweat in the process.


At least I slathered on the deodorant this morning, I told myself.


The Matrix’s digital clock read 10:29 as I backed out of the parking space.


It’s going to take me longer than ten minutes to get to the Capitol, I moaned.


I decided to gamble and attempt to park as close to my destination as possible – without pressing my luck. I fed the meter three quarters, which gave me all of 36 minutes, knowing it wouldn’t be enough.


I’ll probably return and find a ticket on the window, I thought in resignation.


I walked the two blocks to the Capitol at a quick pace and entered the rotunda, at 10:47, sporting a face glistening with sweat. I quickly caught my breath, although it took a few more minutes for the moisture to dissipate. Fortunately, I wasn’t the last of the group to arrive. (Close, though.) Once we had all gathered, we reviewed who would say what in our review of the library legislative agenda put forward by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Libby Burmaster. I got the nod to set the stage – provide the background and purpose of our visit.


Which went very well.


We met with Maria Bundy, Governor Doyle’s Education Policy Analyst, who was very attentive and showed a sincere interest in our issues.


When I mentioned my connection to the Middleton Public Library, Maria noted that her mother-in-law used to work there.


“What’s her name?” I asked, an answer I should have been able to figure out for myself.


“Susan Bundy,” she replied.


For some reason, I had been unable to make this possible connection before the meeting. Obviously, I missed, or completely forgot about, the news of her son’s marriage.


Susan retired from Middleton in 2006 after 20 years of employment.

No comments:

Labels