Friday, January 16, 2009

Retro Dining

Mel and Levina Karlson, two of the nicest people ever and among the most faithful and active members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church (Warren Pennsylvania) during a long stretch of the mid-20th century, used to invite Pastor Nelson and his family to dinner at least once a year. I suspect that it was shortly after this recipe appeared in a 1963 magazine -- Good Housekeeping or Woman's Day, I'd guess -- when Levina prepared this casserole for us. I liked it, but my three younger siblings were put off by the taste of the green olives.

I prepared this casserole for Wednesday's supper. Last year, when I first revived it, Andy must have been away at college. His reaction?

"I don't think I can finish this," he informed me, pointing to the few mouthfuls left on his plate. "I'm not a green olive person."

Fresh from the oven
A great meal for a subzero day

Here's the original recipe:

GROUND BEEF GRAND STYLE
1 can Ballard OvenReady Biscuits (any brand will do, of course)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used ground round)
1 cup chopped onion
1 package (8 oz.) Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) cream of mushroom or chicken soup (gotta go with mushroom)
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup catsup
1/3 cup sliced stuffed olives, if desired

Brown ground beef and onions, drain.

Combine softened cream cheese, soup, milk. Add salt, catsup, olives, ground beef. Pour into 2-quart casserole. Bake at 375°, 10 minutes.

Place biscuits around edge of casserole; if desired, top with olive slices. Bake at 375°, 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Labels