Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Andy's First Days at Home

Friday, September 18, 1987.

After a hearty breakfast at Arneson’s (ham and cheese omelet, American fries) I drive to the hospital. JoAnna and Andy have been given the OK to leave. While Jo takes a sitz bath, Dr. Ellis inspects Andy.


“He’s a bit on the yellow side,” the doctor comments. “You might want to bring him to the office tomorrow for a bilirubin test.”


Not a peep from Andy on the drive home. I keep wanting to look over my shoulder to make sure he is comfortable. The way his head is hanging, he looks extremely uncomfortable.


Jo and I spend most of the afternoon playing with Andy, watching him sleep, letting the wonder of it all make us feel like the most special threesome in the world.


I decide to attend System Celebration at the Heritage House and glance at my watch every five minute while I’m there, eager to dash to the car and motor home in the fastest time possible.


Alice, Cindy, and Gale are visiting us on Andy’s first day home. That night, he’s fine until 3:30, when he wakes up crying. Jo is exhausted, having stayed up until midnight, so I keep him company until his 7 a.m. feeding time. Sometimes he’s very quiet and stares at me contentedly. I am able to read to him all but the last page of a story. When Jo takes over, I crash until 10:30.


Saturday, September 19.

A more structured day. Andy is kept on a regular feeding and sleeping schedule. He’s so well-behaved, such an angel. I call the doctor’s answering service during the afternoon to follow up on Dr. Ellis’s concern. A Dr. Meyer returns my call, says there isn’t much that can be done today since the clinic closed at noon. All we can do is monitor Andy’s skin color.


Paul Stearns arrives for a brief (24-hour) visit to see his new “nephew”.


On his second night at home, Andy wakes up for his middle-of-the-night feeding , then promptly returns to sleep and wakes up again when we are ready to get up.


Sunday, September 20.

Basically a repeat of Andy’s angelic behavior on Saturday. During the afternoon, while watching TV, I put Andy on my chest and let him fall asleep. He appears to break into a smile when I stroke his chin and the sides of his mouth.


After his 8 o’clock feeding and playtime, he gets a little cranky and takes a while to settle down. I check Dr. Spock’s advice; he remind me that swaddling should help him fall asleep.


Monday, September 21.

Andy’s first trip to the pediatrician’s office. Naturally, he cries after the nurse pricks his heel but settles down immediately afterward.


The library staff is amused when I describe Andy’s efforts at a smile.


“It’s probably just gas,” says Sheila.


Actually, some of his efforts at what looks like smiling have been isolated, not part of a series of facial contortions.


Jo calls just before 1:00. Andy’s bilirubin count is up slightly but not seriously. SWe’ll need to go in again tomorrow.


Tuesday, September 22.

Andy proved to be more restless after his middle-of-the-night feeling. When I first put him back in the bassinet, he quickly complained. I cradled him for another half hour until he was sound asleep enough to be returned to his bed undisturbed.


Saturday and Sunday, September 26 & 27.

Andy is especially cranky both afternoons. He cries and nothing will quiet him down. On Saturday afternoon, I ride my bike on a meandering route that takes me around Lake Mendota, so I miss the worst of it. All of it, actually. Andy falls asleep as soon as I return. Early Sunday afternoon, we take Andy with us shopping at Kohl’s and Shopko. Andy starts to fuss as soon as we enter Shopko. I return with him to the car while Jo does the shopping. After an extended period of fussing at home, I lean back on the couch in the family room and cradle Andy while he’s on my chest, his head resting on my left shoulder. He falls asleep within 15 minutes.


Monday, September 28.

Andy sleeps until 8:00. For awhile, I think I might not get to hold him before I go to work. He continues to be an angel at night. Once he’s fed and his diaper is changed, he quickly falls back to sleep.


Tuesday, September 29.

Andy’s first physical since leaving the hospital I am surprised to learn that even though he weight 9 pounds/12 ounces at birth, his weight dropped to 9/4 when he was discharged. He’s gained only a ounce since then. Nothing to worry about. He’s such a big, healthy baby. Otherwise, Jo reported that Andy behaved well at the doctor’s office.

No comments:

Labels