Friday, January 22, 2010

Haircut

Eddie recently purchased a $15 Conair haircut kit – electric clippers with nine attachments and other accessories – and asked me to do the honors.

I’ve never done this before,” I cautioned.

“Are you sure you want to put this responsibility in my hands?”

“How hard can it be?” he countered. “You’re just giving me a buzz.”

He picked out the #4 attachment and clipped it on.

“All right, I’m willing to give it a try,” I said, with little conviction.

“We should probably do this in the garage,” Eddie suggested.

“Good idea,” I noted.

He grabbed a wood chair from the family room, and I found an old (clean) towel to drape over Eddie’s shoulder.

My initial moves were jerky and hesitant.

“Just move the clipper slowly through my hair,” he instructed. “Don’t force it.”

“I don’t know about this,” I wavered, nervous about the uneven contours appearing at the back of his head.

But I kept my mouth shut, figuring that it was much too early to weigh in on my developing skills as a barber. As I gained confidence, I applied the method used by the employees who cut my hair at Great Clips. I moved the clipper in a variety of directions – up, down, over and across. When I finished, Eddie carefully inspected the results.

“You did a good job, Dad. Thanks.”

Our thrifty son. The main impetus for the switch to home barbering is economic.

“This will more than pay for itself after two haircuts,” he declared.

Maybe I should try this approach myself.

No comments:

Labels