Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11, 1991


Yesterday Larry Martin called and the first word out of his mouth, "Congratulations!", caught me completely off guard.

I stammer a response.

"Uh-oh, you haven't heard yet?"

"Heard what?" I ask.

"Oh, never mind.  Goodbye," he kiddingly responds.   "You've been selected as Librarian of the Year".

I'm flabbergasted, never having given my nomination much of a chance.  Already I'm pondering my acceptance speech.  That was one of my questions for Larry.  What does the awards ceremony involve?

For supper, I cook ribs on the grill, and, despite a number of pesky bees -- one of which meets its maker -- we eat on the patio.

While JoAnna and Barb (and Eddie) go shopping, Andy and I go to the park.  He plays with an 8-year-old girl, a slightly plump redhead with a face from Stephen King central casting -- it's the narrow eyes -- who has must moved into the neighborhood  from Milton.  Back home I give Andy a bath and discover that one of my speakers is silent when I play a record.

No comments:

Labels