Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sunday, December 1, 1991


I always write these entries in the present tense, pretending that each of these squares was filled in on the corresponding day.  In other words, today should be Sunday, December 1, but it is actually the opposite end of the week, a very hectic one with, until now, hardly a minute of free time to spare.  Eddie's napping right now, and Andy's watching a Ninja Turtles video.  I'm in the middle of chores, in fact I just placed a basket of laundry to be folded on the coffee table and immediately abandoned it so I can jot down some thoughts about the week.

Last weekend, JoAnna took care of most of the Christmas shopping, one of my least favorite activities.  Now it's just a matter of getting the gifts packages and mailed.  I had asked her to pick me up some sinus medicine, and naturally that's the one item she didn't purchase.  In a grumpy mood, I walked to the store and studied the variety of medications from which to choose.  Not wanting to catch a buzz, I avoided the boxes that promised a no-drowsiness formula.  Two tablets sent me into a surreal, late-afternoon dreamland, but I did feel refreshed when I woke up for dinner.  Beef stew that included potatoes in the recipe served over noodles seemed wrong to me, but I refrained from making any comment to JoAnna.  I wondered about how I was going to feel tomorrow, a 12-hour workday kicking off the week.


No comments:

Labels