Saturday, September 28, 2013

On This Date in 1998


JoAnna and I have just finished helping the boys with their homework.   Eddie had to answer some question from a Frog and Toad book he was assigned to read.  He spent almost 45 minutes at the kitchen table working on this.  I helped Andy study for a science test he has on Friday, asking him questions from the chapters he was assigned to read.
         
Right now I’m watching the Giants-Cubs game out of the corner of my left eye.  Chicago has a 2-run lead in the bottom of the 6th and are threatening to score again.  I thought Lance Johnson was a dead duck as soon as he decided to go to third on Sosa’s single up the middle.  What’s most amazing about this game is that the Giants have yet to get a hit.  Trachsel, the Cubs pitcher, has walked 5 and hit 1.
         
Mom, I’m sure you were extremely disappointed with the way the Mets finished their season, losing 5 in a row when they had the wild card spot almost in reach.  I read an article in the New York Times last week that described how opposing teams play harder against the Mets because of their dislike of Bobby Valentine.  

Yesterday I started listening to The World According to Garp by John Irving, a book that was published in June of 1978, a few months before I moved to Wisconsin.  I think it made the Modern Library’s list of the 100 best books of the 20th century, one of the 50 or so books I hadn’t read. JoAnna said she read it when she was in college, one of her favorite books from that time in her life.  I’m finding it to be such a good book that I’m almost tempted to read it myself rather than have someone read it to me.  But not tonight.  Right now, I’m going to close this letter, then watch the game while listening to Garp and folding laundry. 

No comments:

Labels