Monday, December 30, 2013

On This Date in 1998


Dear Barb,

This note will probably arrive in Warren the same time we do. We’ll be pulling into my parents’ driveway sometime during the early evening of the 26th. Our present location is Two Rivers, Wisconsin, where we are enjoying the company of most of the Richard family. Only Larry, who will be retiring in February after 20 years of service in the Navy, wasn’t able to make the trip.

This vacation is unusual in that we aren’t staying in our usual locations. In the past we’ve always stayed with Larry and Alice but this time we’ve checked into the Cindy Richard bed and breakfast in Manitowoc, just a few miles down the highway along Lake Michigan. In Warren, we’ll stay at Larry and Kim’s cabin on Valentine Run.

Earlier this year, I decided to subscribe to the Times Observer. I’ve been able to read about the ongoing library controversy, news which makes me so thankful that Middleton is so supportive of its library. I’m tempted to write a letter to the editor encouraging voters to dump their county commissioners. Those guys are a sequel to a movie: Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest. I always scan the obituaries. At least two dozen of my high school classmates have lost a parent this year. A number of my paper route customers have also passed on. The letters to the editor always seem to be printed in full. Occasionally I see a familiar face in a photograph: Mike Curren, Lynn Nobles, Andy Yurick.

I missed my high school reunion this year due to Andy’s very busy baseball schedule (both league and tournament play), but Rick Dies sent me an unsolicited copy of the booklet that the planning committee published. I’m surprised at how many people still living in the Warren. How come I never run into anyone ? Maybe I do but I don’t recognize them!

I received a birthday card from Mardi but her brief note gave me no idea of what is going on in her life. I take it she’s still with Rocky? I hope we can all get together next week and catch up on the details of our lives.

No comments:

Labels