Saturday, October 13, 2007

An "After This" Afterthought

I enjoy interacting with the group of regulars who attend Middleton's book discussions, and they give me consistent high marks for the books that I choose. Now I'm wondering about continuing in this role, perhaps once a year, after I retire -- as a "guest leader".

I have mixed feelings about the idea. I don't want to be accused of not being able to let go. And, perhaps, as a new director, I'd feel it was a bit intrusive. When Dad retired, he continued to attend services as a member of St. Paul's as a member, though it certainly must have been an extraordinary adjustment for him. (Everyone was so sad to see him give up his pastoral duties.) At the same time, he politely refused to accept, for example, requests to baptize children of parishioners he had confirmed and/or married. (And there were lots of them after serving the same church for 24 years.) But this is certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison in my situation.

Comments from colleagues?

No comments:

Labels