Friday, November 21, 2008

Similar to the model my dad's family purchased in 1935.

With the merger of Sirius and XM, my satellite boom box provides me with a new channel -- the 40s on 4. Outside of 1.FM's "Chillout Lounge", it's the only other music I've been listening to lately.

I have a long-time fondness for the Big Band sound, music that has always provided a cross-generational bridge. In addition, I've even gained a better appreciation for the harmonizing "sister" groups: the Andrews, the Dinnings, the Kings. And then there are the crooners, Frank Sinatra and Dick Haymes, notably, and a panoply of female vocal stylists that include Billie Holiday, Judy Garland, Kitty Kallen (apparently she doesn't have an "official" website), and Helen Forrest (all but forgotten). They're all great company, especially when baking cookies, one of Retiring Guy's new favorite activities.

With satellite and Internet radio, and their more adventurous playlists, it's possible to wallow in the music of various eras. Maybe I'll work my way through the rest of the 20th century.

And these are likely to be my stops.

1950s: doo-wop, rockabilly.
1960s: soul (more Memphis than Motown), garage rock, psychedelica.
1970s: prog rock, Steely Dan, Alex Chilton and his progeny.

Then things get a little hazy in the 1980s. And if I showed you the list of songs on my iPod, you'd understand completely. (Sorry, no hair bands.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the only reason I'd get satellite radio would be for the good '50s rock that they no longer play on WOLX. *sigh* Because my dad's metallic sea foam green '65 Corvair would break down unless the oldies station was on, I grew up on mostly '50s and '60s and some '70s music and missed the '80s hair bands entirely.

Labels