Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pop Quiz

The Who's 1967 concept album
(and one of their best)

Every once in awhile, I decide to listen to the songs on my iPod in alphabetical order. It's an older model with 782 downloaded tunes, so it takes awhile to work my way from A to Z. Months, actually, since I'm not a habitual ear-bud kinda guy.

(And now you know the origin of this quirky, even perverse post.)

Today I walked my way into the M's.

"Mad Pat" by Horslips.
"Madame George" by Van Morrison.
"Magdalena" by Danny O'Keefe.
"Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic.
"Magnolia" by J. J. Cale.
"Make the World Go Away" by Timi Yuro.
"Man of the World" by Robin Trower.
"Marching Powder" by Tommy Bolin.

(OK, so I'm a case of arrested musical development.)

Anyone want to guess what's next on the list? (Who lovers will know the answer.)

The Who note that guys come from every city to see "Mary Ann with the Shaky Hands". Despite this -- ahem -- affliction, Mary Ann did have some competition.

Can you remember their names?

_______________________

_______________________

_______________________

And what they liked to do?

_______________________

_______________________

_______________________

Answers found here.

Collection development alert:
The Verona Public Library's copy of The Who Sell Out has 10 holds on it. Even in an Age of Downloads, this CD deserves a place in most library collections, particularly since it contains what I consider the best (45 rpm) single of 1967, "I Can See For Miles". (There is another LINK record to which 2 Madison copies are linked. No holds. ??)



No comments:

Labels