Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Day 1979


Except for the two years in California (1971) and Montana (1974), I have always spent Thanksgiving with family or relatives. Barb and I showed great foresight not breaking tradition this year. I thoroughly enjoyed myself today.

I woke up too late to attend church with Ruth and Rudy, thus missing an opportunity to see Pastor Lavelle and his wife again. About ten minutes before eleven, I walked over to Salem church, figuring that by the time I walked the three blocks to get there, the special Thanksgiving morning service would be letting out. Somebody's timing was off. Not feeling like standing around, I continued my walk to Broadway looking for a drug store that sold newspapers. I found a coin-operated vending machine instead.

I woke up too late to attend church with Ruth and Rudy, thus missing an opportunity to see Pastor Lavelle and his wife again. About ten minutes before eleven, I walked over to Salem church, figuring that by the time I walked the three blocks to get there, the special Thanksgiving morning service would be letting out. Somebody's timing was off. Not feeling like standing around, I continued my hine instead.

Ruth had planned to serve dinner at 1:30, but we didn't sit down until 2:00. They were eighteen altogether: Ruth and Rudy; Gregg, Joyce, Marie, and Amy; Mim, Tom, and Rachel; Ford and June; Signe and George; Min and Lila; Ruthie, Barb, and myself.

After dinner, Tom, Barb, Gregg, and I played cribbage (partners). Tom and I stunned Gregg and Barb three games in a row. In fact, except for the last games, I always helped my partner to victory. Never before have I played cribbage so well. Lucky cards, Paul. Don't kid yourself.

Genevieve experienced seizures Tuesday and was immediately admitted to Swedish-American Hospital. Ruth, Ruthie, Signe and I went to visit her earlier this evening. She was sitting up and looked quite good. Ruth had been talking about Genevieve's series of violent seizures two years ago. (That must have been around the time of Frank's death.) Neither Barb nor I realized how devastating these seizures were. The consensus is that only a miracle kept Genevieve alive. Her seizures at this time were nearly constant. I remember the only time I saw Genevieve have one of her seizures. The Starks (Min, Lila, and Gen) were visiting in Warren shortly after we moved there from Great Falls. It happened while Gen and I were sitting at the kitchen table. Perhaps we were playing cards. One thing I remember with perfect clarity is how completely calm Lila was. She knew from experience just exactly what needed to be done. Although I didn't show it, I was totally freaked out. I must have worn a queer look on my face that gave away a hint of my fear. Nothing expressed the terror that was churning my insides. I had never seen anything like this happen to a person. The following summer, while we were vacationing in the Rockford area, I can remember practically hugging the car door handle, ready to jump out at the slightest sign of a convulsion, because I was stuck with sitting next to Genevieve in the front seat. The idiocies of ignorance.

No comments:

Labels