Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Weekend Update


Andy made a special, not entirely unanticipated request early yesterday afternoon.

“Do you think you could drive me back to Milwaukee today?”

He had dropped a hint the previous day with a casual mention that Jack was “having dinner with his parents on Sunday”. Rather than drive his own car, Andy caught a ride with Jack, his former roommate for three years running who graduated from UW-Milwaukee last spring. Jack now works full time for Manpower in Milwaukee.

“I have a paper I need to work on at the library,” he explained. “We have a group project in my management class that’s due at the end of the end of next week and I need to finish writing my section
of it.”

Now out of college, Jack doesn’t have to worry about unfinished assignments or exams to study for, which is why he was content to return to his Milwaukee apartment late Sunday night in order to extend the visit with his parents. All he has to do is show up for work Monday morning.

“We’ll need to leave now instead of after the Badger game,” I responded. “I’d rather now have to drive back home when it’s dark. Especially since it’s going to be raining all day.”

“That’s fine,” Andy agreed.

JoAnna gave me an aggrieved look, telegraphing her dismay that a quiet, relaxing afternoon at home had just been derailed.

However, since Andy had already planted a seed, his little sprout of a request didn’t take me by surprise.

“Do you have a book to listen to?” JoAnna asked, “But then you can listen to the football game on the radio,” she quickly added.


[Sidebar. I’m on a Joyce Carol Oates kick right now – nearing the end of Black Girl White Girl, the fourth book I’ve “read” by her in the past two months. Oates is a prolific and very accomplished writer of novels, short stories, and poetry. I particularly admire the style and structure of her novels.]

“Actually, I’ll probably listen to an audiobook,” I said, “and check on the score of the game with my iPhone.”

On the second half of the rain-soaked drive to Milwaukee, Andy and I listened to the game, which didn’t get off to a particularly promising start after a bonehead Wisconsin penalty led to a Penn State touchdown. Fortunately, it was the only points the Badgers allowed their opponents to score.

Andy and I talked throughout the 90-minute drive – about sports (of course), his final year at UW-Milwaukee, preparing for job interviews, family reminiscences. I have to confess I felt somewhat conflicted about his decision to return to Milwaukee a day early. On the one hand, I was looking forward to another full day of family activity, even if we just hung out at home and watched TV, though JoAnna had suggested we go to a movie Saturday evening. Conversely, I’m heartened by his growing sense of independence. It wasn’t that long ago when he talked about returning home after graduating from college and finding a job in the Madison area, a not uncommon occurrence in today’s tough job market for new graduates. Not to mention most everyone else, for that matter. I think Jack’s example has helped Andy visualize his other options.

Eddie returned to his apartment this afternoon, but not before we went grocery shopping. Instead of going to a movie last night – after more than three hours of driving in less than ideal conditions, I preferred to stay put once I returned home – JoAnna and Eddie went shopping for shoes and miscellaneous items of clothing. No suits, though! Eddie’s “dress for success” period is at least another year away, although it’s very possible he will graduate from UW-Madison in May 2012. Unlike his brother, Eddie has graduate school in his plans.

No comments:

Labels