Thursday, January 17, 2013

Friday, January 17, 1992


After driving the boys to daycare, I cash my check at the credit union and return home a half hour past our scheduled departure time.  Not a problem.  Barb and Chuck have not yet arrived.  We pack the van and leave shortly before ten, stopping at McDonald's to pick up breakfast, which includes 9 orders of hash browns.  I only drive the first 50 miles; then Chuck volunteers to take over.  His driving makes me -- and everyone else -- so nervous, but I don't argue.  We meet the Blumenfelds and Cieslewiczs in Minocqua to eat lunch at Bosacki's.

The Rittenhouse bed-and-breakfast in Bayfield is an eye-opening establishment.  Beautifully appointed rooms.  Cozy, snowbound setting.

After unpacking, we meet for supper.  Maggie's, the only real choice at this time of year, has a long waiting list, so we walk 3 blocks in -20 degree cold to Marty's, a typical bar and while away some time.  We spend a half hour at the bar once we get back to Maggie's, waiting for a cluster of tables that will seat ten.  In the meantime, we continue to drink and jabber away.  Dinner itself is a wonderful group experience.  We have so much fun.  Back at the Inn, we gather in Barb and Chuck's room to play 60s Trivial Pursuit, and I dazzle the group with my answers -- notably the "Hog Farm" response.

No comments:

Labels