Sunday, June 2, 2013

June 2, 1992

Photo credit:  Museum at the Portage
Home of the Portage Public Library from 1946 to 1994.

Portage hosts the PLAC meeting this month.  I arrive in town with some time to spare.  I walk up and down the main street looking for places to buy postcards.  It's obvious that the same cards depicting Portage have been sold out for at least two decades.  It's also obvious from my casual study of the various storefronts that Portage has not yet been malled.  If I recall, there are a number of businesses located on the north side of town on business 51, but it hasn't been enough to such out all of the vitality of downtown.

The meeting is routine.  Surprisingly, this is my first visit to the Portage library.  The city certainly needs a much larger facility.

I drive back to Middleton via a winding 78 and a heavily traveled 12.  The rest of my day is rather nondescript.

No comments:

Labels