Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 30, 1979 (Another Episode of the Dick Miller Show)


Yesterday Dick Miller and I had an interesting chat. My trip to the third floor administrative offices had originally been for the simple purpose of delivering to Julie the Youth Work Experience program evaluation forms for Robin. Julie wasn't at her desk so I peeked around the corner to see if Dick was in his office. He was on the phone but motioned me to take a seat. I remained standing until he concluded his phone conversation. He seemed eager to talk so I took one of the seats opposite his desk. After fifteen minutes of general conversation, he moved into territory he obviously wanted me to become familiar with.

Dick seemed to feel that he had become responsible for a rumor spreading quickly throughout the library. According to him, the hot topic of conversation arose during his recent extended weekend trip to Connecticut. Everyone thinks he's planning to move. Since I am not privy to most library gossip, this observation came as a complete surprise to me. As the flood gates were opened, the water roared down the spillway.

Dick confessed that he interviewed for the position of Connecticut State Librarian. He had previously discussed the matter with Bill, who naturally relayed the information to me.

Dick is obviously not happy in Oshkosh. Personally, I don't feel that he has become comfortable in the position of library director here. Since Connecticut is his home state, a move there would seem quite logical.

Now comes the big surprise. Dick is considering a return to Port Angeles at the request of the town's library board and many of the town's local citizens. At least that's hi's story. Two months ago he suggested that I apply for the same job. At first, the thought of moving to the west coast proved extremely tempting. Then I realized how content I was in Oshkosh. A move would be too disorienting at the present time. Better to enjoy the unexpected stability that has made my life so special this year.

No comments:

Labels