Saturday, February 2, 2013

Sunday, February 2, 1992


The weather is unseasonably mild; we seem to have leapt six weeks into the year.  I look forward to a walk with the boys, but Eddie takes a long nap, nearly three hours.  By the time he's up, I have to leave the house for Jim Barber's memorial service.  A phone call from the police tightens my schedule.  The dispatcher received an intrusion alarm.  One of the front doors was left unlocked, I conclude to myself. That's turns out to be the case.

When I arrive at the First Unitarian Church, I can't notice but how full the parking lot is.  The service for Jim is very touching.  I feel a lot, not getting to know a very special person.  During an unexpected recessional, I choke on a hairball of emotion while giving Gale a hug of greeting.  I immediately feel a little silly but later on realize just how true the emotion was.  Before I leave the reception, I try to work my way back to Gale, just to exchange a few words, but there are too many other people who want to greet her and express their sympathies.  I end up talking at length with Ellen Lindgren and Margie Marion.

On the way home, I stop at Office Depot on Whitney Way to pick up some computer supplies.

No comments:

Labels