Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Day 1975


Thanksgiving was a pleasant holiday this year, no more no less. Gen fixed quite a spread for the main meal. Unlike the past few Thanksgivings, I ate past the point of comfort. After I finished my first plate, I had considered refusing seconds, but Gen gave me look which relayed the message to me that she would be insulted if I didn't eat anymore. So I served myself very moderate second helpings of turkey, squash, and salad, knowing it to be a mistake but feeling a foolish obligation to get this extra food down. My stomach punished me for this polite gluttony to the point where I had to refuse dessert. Later in the afternoon, to relieve a stagnant feeling in my stomach, I joined Ed, Gen, and Edna for a walk in the woods. I stayed for supper but left shortly thereafter, though I had no other engagements for the evening.

No comments:

Labels